For some more grounded stories and ideas, please feel free to explore Rosie's Words Words Words.

Friday, March 10, 2017

A Few Good Scientists

JESSEP You want scientific answers? 
KAFFEE I think I'm entitled to them. 
JESSEP You want published results and conclusions?! 
KAFFEE I WANT THE TRUTH!
JESSEP YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
Son, we live in a universe that has natural laws. And those laws have to be discovered by scientists with perseverance and brains. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom.

You weep for fossil fuels and you curse the scientists. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: That the death of fossil fuels, while inconvenient, probably saves lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. (beat) You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at tea parties, you want me discovering nature's laws. You need me there in the lab. (boasting) We use words like truth, discovery, objective reality... we use these words as the backbone to a life spent exploring something. You use 'em as a punchline. (beat) I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very technological wonders I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide them. I'd prefer you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a test tube and run an experiment. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to. 
KAFFEE (quietly) Did you publish the peer-reviewed climate change article? 
JESSEP (beat) I did the job you sent me to do. 
KAFFEE DID YOU PUBLISH THE ARTICLE?
JESSEP (pause) YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT, I DID!!.

No comments: